Bullhook Community Health Center (BCHC) is an equal opportunity employer. BCHC shall, upon request, provide reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
Job Title: Registered Dental Hygienist
Supervisor: Chief Dental Officer
Salary: $59,399 - $84,688.77
Job Overview: Responsible for the direct provision of oral hygiene and appropriate preventive services to dental patients of the center. The Registered Dental Hygienist will also be responsible for providing appropriate oral health information to individuals and groups. Bullhook CHC is a National Health Service Corp Provider designated site.
Essential Functions (Major Duties or Responsibilities):
- Assists in the oral health management of all clinic patients. Obtains baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles of oral hygiene and periodontal care.
- Documents and maintains accurate dental records that reflects the nature of the contract in which the patient presents at the time of treatment.
- Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for all center dental patients.
- Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards and in compliance with applicable state law and the center’s clinical protocols.
- Integration of appropriate patient dental hygiene care with other heal care professionals involved in the patient’s health care management.
- Assists in the provision of technical assistance and health education in the community as requested.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department protocol and directive.
- Assists in the maintenance of all Dental Department areas in compliance with Dental Department directive and policies as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive and center policy as well as state federal regulations(s).
- Complies in full with the center’s Exposure Control Plan.
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
- As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
Minimum Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- Graduation from an accredited school of dental hygiene.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with fellow healthcare providers.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills required.
- Ability to maintain appropriate clinical privileges required.
- FTCA coverage or private professional malpractice insurance obtainable
- Unrestricted license to practice Oral Hygiene in the State of Montana
- Current CPR (BLS) certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s): Requires a comprehensive knowledge of oral hygiene care in outpatient settings. Knowledge of the principles and practice of modern oral hygiene and periodontal patient care is necessary. The Registered Dental Hygienist must be cognizant of the public health, social and economic factors which impact on the overall health, and more specifically the oral health of their patients. The Registered Dental Hygienist must be able to creatively work with other health care professionals from a variety of disciplines to achieve maximal program effectiveness and patient benefit. The ability to creatively solve problems through individual and/or programmatic action is an important part of this position.
Physical and Environmental Demands: Prolonged sitting or standing may be required. Those physical movements and the degree of mobility, manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination normally associated with the practice of modern oral hygiene will be performed on a repetitive basis. The ability to distinguish letters and symbols, as well as the ability to utilize telephone, computer terminals and copiers is required. Work under stressful conditions as well as irregular hours may be required. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, radiation and other conditions common to a clinical environment may routinely be encountered.
Special Requirements: Performs Dental Hygienist duties in the deliverance of health services. Hazardous risks may include exposure to infected body fluids, sharp instruments and chemicals, requires adherence to universal safety precautions.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.